results on our special
all cleaned gutters
Gutter Cleaning Without a LadderDecember 10th, 2014
Every conscientious home owner realises the need of a proper gutter maintenance (or at least we hope so).
It is important they are fully functional and have no leaks or clogs. Otherwise you might be in a situation where you have to replace the whole guttering system or face irreversible foundation damage.
We really don’t over-exaggerate when we say you must regularly clean your gutters.
On the other hand, climbing a ladder and cleaning at a height is inadvisable and can be dangerous. Height related injuries are one of the most common reasons for a hospital visit in the UK. Broken limbs and cracked skulls are just some options that clumsy cleaners can experience.
One might wonder “how to clean your gutters from the ground?”.
Luckily, there are several tools that give a pretty straight-forward answer to that question. By combining the uses of some of them, or solely relying on a specific one, you can easily clean your roof gutters without a ladder.
Tools to Help You Clean Your Gutters Safely From the Ground
- Get extension accessories for your vacuum cleaner. A leaf blower will also do the work, but it should be able to work in reverse. Depending on the type of vacuum cleaner/leaf blower, those accessories will help you reach the first floor, but aren’t suitable for higher buildings.
- Buy special gutter cleaning tongs. Those contraptions are operated via a rope, attached to a metal pole. You can grab leaves and other large debris with them and they can reach up to the second floor. However, the tongs are somehow inefficient against pine needles and other small debris lying in the gutters.
- Rinse the gutters with special hose applicators. A good example of such are the “Roof Gutter Flusher and Cleaner”. They have sharp edge and a mirror to actually see what you are cleaning. While particularly effective against small objects, this method won’t help you much if you have a clog formed by large leaves and twigs.
- Scrape the debris manually attaching a gutter paddle to a telescopic pole. There are special paddles that can be attached to a standard telescopic pole, with which one can scrape any leaves and twigs from their gutters. The reach depends on the length of the pole you are using.
There, four easy-to-use and not too expensive tools that will help you clean your gutters without a ladder. Every method described has it’s limitations and advantages. It’s up to you to decide which one will be most convenient for your home.
How To Clean Your Gutters Without a Ladder?
No matter which tool you decide to pick, the techniques required to properly clean your type of gutter system from the ground are similar. Just follow these steps and you will manage it:
- Stand just beneath your gutter system and raise your choice of a gutter cleaner vertically above you.
- Have a firm grip. The longer the pole is, the more muscle-demanding the task will be.
- Slowly begin to vacuum/scrape/grab the debris and leaves in your gutter. Do not rush the process. Go back and forth, repeat segments if you think they are not fully cleaned.
- Use force when necessary. There will be clogs and harder parts. Don’t be afraid to be more aggressive, but don’t overdo it. You will want to use those gutters for another day.
- Slow and steady will get you ready. Make haste and you will be laying in waste.
- Be thorough and don’t skip spots. It should take you several hours, but after that you won’t have to do it for a few more months.
If you are having trouble using them or you just don’t want to burden yourself with gutter cleaning you can always book us to do the job for you.